- Intended For:
- Customer End User
- Estimated Time to Complete:
- 15 minutes
- Applies to Software/Firmware Version(s):
Firmware is the programming, or set of instructions, for a hardware device (more information). The firmware for the 4RE is occasionally updated to add new features and bug fixes.
Visit the 4RE - Downloads page to download the latest firmware release.
IMPORTANT: In order to upgrade to version 4.0.1.xxx or higher, the 4RE must be on version 18.104.22.168. For a wireless deployment, all cars must be updated to the 22.214.171.124 version.
If your version is lower, you will need to upgrade to 126.96.36.199 first, then you can upgrade to 188.8.131.52 or higher. Visit the 4RE - Downloads page to download this version.
If downgrading the DVR version (not recommended) the DVR will format the hard drive and all video will be erased.
IMPORTANT: When upgrading via USB, ensure all video has imported prior to processing any upgrades or updates on your 4RE units.
Wireless Upgrade via Evidence Library
For Evidence Library 3
While firmware version 4.0.6 did not work with Evidence Library 3, version 4.0.7 will. See this article for information on how to configure the system: 4RE - Evidence Library 3.
- Open the Evidence Library client application on the Evidence Library server
- Log in
- Select 'Fleet Management'
Skip to Next Steps
For Evidence Library 4 Web
- Open the Evidence Library Administrator application on the Evidence Library server
- Log in
- Click button 'Click to manage in-car video'
From this point, the process is:
- Select 'Update 4RE Software'
- Click 'Import'
- Browse to where the DVR firmware is stored and select the file (name format:
- The server will then upload that version to the 4RE systems
- When a vehicle comes into range of the wireless Access Point, the upgrade will happen in the background
- The next time the 4RE is turned on, the display will show that the firmware has been upgraded
Manual USB Process
- Copy the firmware file to the root of the USB (thumb) drive
- Safely remove the USB flash drive from the computer
- Obtain a 4RE DVR key from an administrator
- Open the front panel door on the DVR to access the USB flash drive
- If the 4RE system is on
- Turn the system off, or
- Press and hold the Stop button on the Display unit until a message appears that it is safe to remove the USB
- Remove the USB flash drive currently in the DVR
- Insert the upgrade USB flash drive into the DVR
- If the 4RE system is off, turn it on
- It may take a minute or two for the Upgrade message to appear
- On the Display unit select 'YES' when prompted to upgrade the DVR