Release Notes for WatchGuard Evidence Library Web Software 220.127.116.1112
April 2019 - Document Revision A
Copyright (c) WatchGuard, Inc.
All rights reserved
For up-to-date information on WatchGuard, Inc. Software, contact
WatchGuard Customer Service:
Phone: 1-800-605-6734 (toll free)
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1: Feature Additions
2: Bug Fixes
3: Functional Changes / Known Limitations
4: Supported Platforms
5: Supported Direct Upgrade Paths
6: WG Software Compatibility
7: Minimum Hardware Requirements
1: Feature Additions
No new features have been added to the product.
- ELWEB-9136: Video Processing Worker (VPW) replacement for Concatenation and Transcode Workers, supporting Local Working Copy (LWC) video processing of each Recording Event
- ELWEB-9813: Support for SQL Server 2017
- ELWEB-9830: Reduce default event tag answers in deployment SQL scripts
- ELWEB-9908: Synchronized Export of a video and an audio viewable in Synchronized Playback into a single video file
- ELWEB-9957/10067/10133: Support for TLS 1.1/1.2
- ELWEB-10006: Update SQL Server maintenance guidance
- ELWEB-6153: .net Framework refresh
- ELWEB-8283: Log Level changes
- ELWEB-8492: Multiple Case Attachments (adding and deleting)
- ELWEB-9034: VISTA USB Filter Driver
- ELWEB-9314: Prevent Install on Windows 8 since it doesn't support .net 4.7
- ELWEB-9590: Checkbox for REID Search Performance Improvement
- ELWEB-9600: New Non-EV code signing certificate added to ELWeb installer
- ELWEB-6326: New Claim to Edit Event Tags (but not the rest of Event Details)
- ELWEB-7342: Disable-Audio for VISTA configuration setting
- ELWEB-7491: Support for Rimage DVD burner Robot
- Installation of Publishing Service required
- Robot Configuration Tool (aka "Robar") to be run for setup of Rimage and Publishing Service
- ELWEB-7645: Support for SQL Server 2016
- ELWEB-7646: Support for Windows Server 2016
- ELWEB-7682: Support for SQL Server for Import
- ELWEB-7915: BITS/HTTP option for Import
- New radio button on individual and All-In-One (AIO) installer to provide options of BITS/SMB or BITS/HTTP for Import
- ELWEB-8039: VISTA Vehicle Kit support configuration
- ELWEB-8057: Support for VISTA 2-piece camera device type
- ELWEB-8357: en_CA (Canada) locale support
- ELWEB-7604: Option to auto deploy VISTA configuration updates without checking out the camera
- VISTA firmware 2.0.3 or higher is required
- When on, updated config will be pushed at next camera dock
- Default is "ON"
- ELWEB-7644/ELWEB-7472: Locale added to EL Admin Client for VISTA and 4RE
- EL Date format updates based on Locale
- ELWEB-7365: Audit records for Login/Logout
- ELWEB-7366/ELWEB-7532: Badge numbers display next to officer name on VISTA checkout list (if mapped)
- ELWEB-6019: Security improvements via Certificate updates
- ELWEB-7642: Secondary event tags included in VISTA config for use by SmartConnect apps
- ELWEB-7772: Improvement in event concatenation and transcoding performance
- Option is off by default.
- REQUIRES ALL VISTA cameras to be running v2.0 firmware or higher
- ELWEB-7273: Support for EL Dashboard authentication
- VISTA Wi-Fi support / configuration
- Synchronized video playback
- Cloud storage capability
- Tiered storage for video evidence
- Round robin for video storage locations
- Evidence Management moved to web UI
- Upload from 4RE and VISTA via HTTP
- Archive, then Purge scheduling ability
- Auto linking of grouped VISTA and 4RE events
- GPS location metadata for VISTA events (if created with VISTA Wi-Fi)
- 4RE configuration option to blank display screen on vehicle movement (4.0+ firmware only)
- VISTA configuration to allow audio mute during recording (2.0+ firmware only)
2: Bug Fixes (Customer Service entered + key fixes)
- ELWEB-10284 - Case export to cloud fails; Prepare Export button does not enable in the UI (Cloud Share)
- ELWEB-10282 - Workflow: Sync Export Fails to Generate WGPlayer File if 2+ Sync Exports have the Same Video Selected
- ELWEB-10279 - Sync Export Error when transcoding to DVD-Video type
- ELWEB-10162 - Workflow: Create Audit records for Sync Export
- ELWEB-10118 - Move Worker performs full table scan when resolving tasks
- ELWEB-10046 - DVRComm: Implement deterministic startup sequence so that "Address in use" socket initialization errors are avoided
- ELWEB-9914 - Event Search - GPS-Address - Sometimes zero results are received and exception occurs
- ELWEB-9271 - Connecting Watchguard to Quantum storage (non domain)
- ELWEB-10302 - Prevent Move Queue Worker Resolver from acquiring work upon SQL Timeout
- ELWEB-9246: Automation: Case Export no longer selects the video or attachments for Export
- ELWEB-9516: Officer-AD Synchronization & Integration tool (OADSI) special build for performance at large agencies
- ELWEB-9661: Resolved issue where user had to manually refresh page to play a recording event when pasting a copied link to Recording event
- ELWEB-9906: Enhance the Resubmit Tool (Powershell tool) to work with .wgv files
- ELWEB-9924/9952: Login times have increased significantly from EL 4.3
- ELWEB-9937/10068: Upon JQWS restart, restart jobs that are in a restartable state
- ELWEB-9954: Resolved getting red banner "Unable to get all export jobs" repeatedly
- ELWEB-10026: Modification of default retention policy removes entry from database
- ELWEB-10030/10045: Add clustered indexes to improve performance and avoid excessive fragmentation
- ELWEB-10065: OnDemand Import - Error thrown when clicking Import from EL web page
- ELWEB-10085: Updated stored procedure to resolve SQL Exception on Recording Event Purge
- ELWEB-10088: CleanupSweeper does not find jobs that have previously run with an error
- ELWEB-10119: Export job is not Canceled when the JQWS instance faults
- ELWEB-10136: VISTA Driver installer failing on upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1
- ELWEB-10160: Hosted Service Installer and Import Service Installer do not need to run ISSQLServerValidate during uninstall
- ELWEB-10176: Automation: in Case Export the Prepare button doesn't change to Enabled after entering job name
- ELWEB-10184: ExportTranscode faults when trying to process Incomplete Events
- ELWEB-8716: Blank screen after deleting cases
- ELWEB-8864: Events with no files that don't throw exceptions will block moves
- ELWEB-9130/9112: Rimage: duplication of staging stream caused by Publishing service restart
- ELWEB-9155/8455: Restart of IIS forces Automapper and WebAPI endpoint exceptions disabling ELWEB
- ELWEB-9335/9328/9332/9459: Duplicate VISTA Serial Numbers causing checkout failures
- ELWEB-9405/9510: Kiosk becomes basically unusable in IE with 4000 officers
- ELWEB-9415/9311: EL will not modify NTFS permissions when adding or editing storage locations
- ELWEB-9437/9508: Heavily loaded DVRComm causes Kiosk/Rapid Checkout failure: No devices found
- ELWEB-9456/9381/9590: Improved Single Event Search Performance
- ELWEB-9474: Fix for ForceBitsOff=TRUE when using BITS/HTTP - multiple scenarios
- see IMPORT Release Notes below
- ELWEB-9569/9563: Transfer Service should default to Machine-based SourceNameProvider
- ELWEB-9579/9612/9275/8868: Case Tab loads slowly the first time after login.
- ELWEB-9581/9580: Batch download of CLOUD-SHARE audit records to EL Web should be enabled by default
- ELWEB-9606/9740: BITS Failure when adding files to job blocks file from ever transferring
- ELWEB-9616/9591/9578: Aborted workflow during cleanup removing files from import.staging
- ELWEB-9622/9687: MTD reference in Import DB remains
- ELWEB-9643/9420/9263/9149: Fix for Round Robin failing when first storage in tier is full
- ELWEB-9655/9711/9651: Concatenation of video files without IFrames
- ELWEB-9677/9673: Wireless Import Service crash
- ELWEB-9687/9622/6523: Invalid_Event protocol re-work
- ELWEB-8959: Installer remote certificate fix for distributed installations of JQWS, Wireless, and Import Services
- ELWEB-9111: Missing conditional around CalcURL
- ELWEB-9115: On-Demand transcode not working for legacy events (only .ts existing)
- ELWEB-7300: Improved performance of EL Admin in large branch installations.
- ELWEB-7303: Date Recorded includes time stamp on exported disc label
- ELWEB-7615: Fix for orphaned ‘jobqueue.workersnapshot’ prohibiting purge
- ELWEB-7845: Fix to ‘wirelessimport’ logging where VISTA list was being dumped in DEBUG log every second
- ELWEB-7899: Fixed ‘RepairUtility’ so that it will run even when there are missing files in the REID folder
- ELWEB-7946: Fix for server based Transfer Agent taking the download for remotely triggered export
- ELWEB-7968: Resolved issue where BITS.tmp files were building up in the import directory
- ELWEB-8090: Fix for officers being able to search and view another officer's video
- ELWEB-8099: Fix for single date saved search on UK system showing wrong date in left pane
- ELWEB-8105: Fix for failing WMV transcode with embedded text during export
- ELWEB-8131: Fix for missing features after web install successfully completed
- ELWEB-8164: Changed default radio type to MikroTik
- ELWEB-8167: Fix for ‘MyExports’ page displaying GUID for Submitted By entry (previously hot fixed)
- ELWEB-8258: Fix for subtitles missing from exported spanned events
- ELWEB-8307: Fix in mixed VISTA (wi-fi and non-wi-fi) environment where Kiosk checkout was allowed without password
- ELWEB-8312: Metadata on playback doesn't display the GPS speed
- ELWEB-8333: Fix for ELWEB dependency on "Radar=> Display Patrol Speed" setting to be YES in order to show GPS speed in metadata graph
- ELWEB-8336/8382: Fix for .iso files being too large for disc export
- ELWEB-8368/8377/8899: Bulk Transcode Tool scripts have been added to 4.2
- ELWEB-8369: Fix for users being able to login with expired passwords
- ELWEB-8381: Fix for playback screen allowing for export of importing event
- ELWEB-8389: Fix for deadlocks during purge
- ELWEB-8400: Fix for users with expired passwords being allowed to login when AD is misconfigured
- ELWEB-8404: Corrected subtitle displays for radar speeds configured for KPH
- ELWEB-8418: Corrected metadata graph for KPH GPS speeds
- ELWEB-8460: Fix for single date searches prior to 1/1/2017
- ELWEB-8523: Fix for SSL Certificates to work with Chrome 58+
- ELWEB-8534: Fix for events imported from 4RE configured to "Display date and time = No" have no subtitles
- ELWEB-8547: Fix for event categories without retention states not using the default retention policy
- ELWEB-8572: No longer allows multiple instances of the Transfer Agent on the same PC
- ELWEB-8590: Fix for exporting with duplicate folder names in storage path
- ELWEB-8610: Upgrade added option to force creation of new web certificate
- ELWEB-8791: Fix for installer failing to enable BITS IIS Extension due to execution policy
- ELWEB-7331: Fixes for Case Management and Case Worker permissions
- ELWEB-7237: Changed default VISTA config option Force Microphone On to unchecked/off
- ELWEB-7887: ELWEB-7233: Improved display of disabled storage locations
- Fix for partial event being on-demand transcoded while at the same time being moving to another storage tier
- ELWEB-7878: Video storage rollover fix
- ELWEB-7788: Import storage cleanup fix to delete files for events that have been fully imported
- ELWEB-5902: AD changes now updating EL Officer list
- Polling set to every 2 minutes
- ELWEB-7218: DomainToConfigV1.xsl no longer overwritten on upgrade
- ELWEB-7537: VISTA device checkout logging now included serial number
- ELWEB-7940: Fix for export failures cause by SQL audit data lock
- ELWEB-7968: Fix for .tmp files building up in Import staging directory when attempting to upload via Transfer Agent over poor/intermittent network
- ELWEB-7865: Fixed loop that was duplicating recording event audit entries
- ELWEB-7296/ELWEB-7734: Installer now handles Wireless Import Service with multiple NICs
- ELWEB-7805: Fixed worker jobs getting hung in JobQueue after exception
- ELWEB-7841: Fixed issue with Import service restart due to metadata file
- Removed SQL version check from Host installer
- Added back configuration option to change BITS to File Copy
- Fixed condition that could cause an event import to stall for 15-30 minutes
- Improved export performance
- Event notes are now exported as part of the audit log
- Export storage cleanup fixed
- Better handling of exporting the same event simultaneously
- Maximum supported attachment upload size limit of 1 GB for Case has been removed
3: Functional Changes / Known Limitations
- From ELWEB-10133, agencies that have increased their security by enabling only TLS 1.2 – in particular, by disabling TLS 1.0 – may experience issues during install/upgrade.
When performing an upgrade to EL 4.4, components will uninstall their previous versions.
In order to complete the installation, it will be necessary to enable TLS 1.0,
complete the install/upgrade using the installer with the TLS 1.0 dependency, then disable TLS 1.0 again after all installs.
Not doing so will be indicated by the installer showing "Error 27502" containing the text "SSL Security Error".
- From ELWEB-10136, when upgrading from EL 4.3 Transfer Agent a new version of filter driver needs to be installed.
To complete uninstall of filter driver a reboot of the computer is required, but the user can decline.
If the user runs the EL 4.4. Transfer Agent installer a second time, it correctly instructs to reboot first.
If the user tries running the EL 4.4 Transfer Agent installer a third time without that reboot,
the installer software will let the user proceed to install TA and TS and do a partial/failed install of the latest filter driver.
This leaves the filter driver in a non-functioning state.
- Users may have a Windows Defender SmartScreen show when installing the Transfer
Agent. Select "Run anyway" when this is seen. This issue is tracked in ELWEB-9773.
Microsoft FAQ on this issue can be seen here:
https://feedback.smartscreen.microsoft.com/smartscreenfaq.aspx. For specifics,
review comments on "Application Reputation".
- EL 4.3 requires .NET 4.7.1. The installer will check for .NET 4.7.1 and if it is not present, will download and install it.
The installation of .NET 4.7.1 requires a reboot which must be completed prior to installing EL 4.3.
Therefore, the EL 4.3 installer must be manually restarted after the reboot for .NET 4.7.1.
- If the Transfer Agent Installer fails on a 32-bit Windows 7 machine and
.NET 4.7.1 is not present, please install .NET 4.7.1 per Microsoft instructions
and re-run the Transfer Agent installer.
- The following notes are specific to the Wireless Import Service installation in 4.3
- Manually execute the WinPcap installer prior to attempting a silent install
of the Wireless Import Service (e.g. when invoking the install script from
- When using the EL4.3 command line installer for a new install (not upgrade)
of Wireless Import Service, then it is required to manually install WinPcap
by downloading and executing Evidence_Library_18.104.22.16867.iso\Redist\WinPcap_4_1_3.exe
- Other types of installation continue to automatically invoke the WinPcap installer
(without using AutoIt), but now require the user to click through the WinPcap install
screens (e.g. from ELSetup.exe and Wireless Import Service Installer exe).
- In the case of ELSetup.exe being executed with the Wireless Import Service checkbox
unchecked (i.e. On the Custom Install screen, the user has elected not to install the
Wireless Import Service), then WinPcap is not considered a pre-requisite and no
attempt is made to install it.
- Wireless Import Service will not function correctly without WinPcap installed on
- When upgrading an existing installation, this step is not necessary.
- When uninstalling Wireless Import Service, WinPcap is not uninstalled.
- If extra sites (named SITE_1 to SITE_20) are seen in the IIS web site list,
these sites can be cleaned up by uninstalling 4.3 and re-installing either
Wireless_Import, Import, or ELWEB. An upgrade from previous builds will not
remove these. An upgrade from 4.3 to future builds will clean these up.
- Do not use ELsetup.exe on a machine where you will not install EL Web.
Instead, execute each individual installer.
- Do not use ELsetup.exe when setting up a separate JQWS machine, even
if it is also hosting EL Web. Instead, execute the JQWS installer and
the EL Web installer separately.
- Before upgrading, please confirm the registry settings for distributed
/ branch installations for the IS_DISTRIBUTED and DATABASE_ACCOUNT registry
entries. In testing upgrades, databases that were originally installed
during 2.5, or 3.1.X may have these settings incorrect which may cause the
DB installation to fail. For distributed / branch installations
IS_DISTRIBUTED should be 1, and DATABASE_ACCOUNT should be the
"domain\username" that installed EL. For All-In-One installations, these
would be "0" and "WGV.NET" respectively.
- A new radio button selection has been added to the All-In-One (AIO) and
Import individual installers for setting up BITS/HTTP for import.
BITS/HTTP is only supported on Server OS installations. BITS/SMB remains
the default for all non-server OS installations and for all upgrades, but
the import selection can be changed during the upgrade. Import Storage
credentials must be added to the Evidence Management Import Storage location
and these credentials must be provided read/write access to the Import
- A new option has been provided in the Import service individual installer to
allow the import service to use SQL Server instead of the SQL CE
Import.sdf for import. This option is not part of the All-In-One installer.
Changing from SQL CE to SQL Server for import during an upgrade is NOT
supported as there is no migration of the import.sdf data to the new
- On upgrades to 4.2 or later releases, LDS users with expired passwords are
locked out and cannot login. A pre-install script has been provided to
determine which users have expired passwords. See ELWEB-8834 for details
on this script.
- VISTA events created with 1.0 firmware that include pre-event
with no audio, will have sound sync issues in Windows players
(Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, etc.)
- When Hosted Services is not installed on same server as STS server,
installer presents a blank field for location of STS server for you to
enter the server name. Separate Host and STS servers is not a recommended
configuration (but unavoidable in a branch configuration).
- When installing on a workgroup environment, LDS access permissions (on STS
server) need to be modified to allow Host server’s machine account to
- User must be logged in as a user that has local administrator rights
to install Transfer Agent
- EL uninstall does not distinguish between full uninstall and upgrade,
so it leaves certain values (registry keys, database, log files, etc.)
behind to support the upgrade process. If the install type
(AD or LDS), the SQL version, or the FTP client/settings need to
be changed, those pieces must be manually changed.
- Items left behind:
-- registry key “HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\WatchGuard Video” to
preserve previous installation choices
-- FTP sites for wireless upload named “WatchGuard DVR Upload” &
“WatchGuard DVR Software Upload”
-- C:\WatchGuardVideo\ NOTE: May be video in this directory
-- Database: WGEvidenceLibrary & WGImport
-- “AD LDS Instance Watchguard LDS” in “Programs and Features”
- Do not change working drives during an upgrade.
- System reboot strongly recommended before and after upgrade, even
though it is not prompted by the installer.
- Close all EL applications, config files, etc. before running
- On LDS installs, User Names and Passwords cannot contain spaces.
- On Upgrade the DomainToConfigV1.xsl is copied to the
%programdata%\watchguardvideo folder. The copy placed in that folder
gets overwritten with each upgrade.
- Database installer will fail if database is not installed directly
on SQL server.
- Host server config value is always set to "localhost". If Import
service is installed separate from Host on a new install.
Value must be updated to the Host server.
- For installations that have multiple Job Queue Workers, only
one machine should have the "Allow this service to run move
queue" option. All other Job Queue Worker Servers should have
this box unchecked during install.
- If multiple machines run this, duplicate work snapshots can
be created in some situations, causing errors in the work processing.
- Prior to running an upgrade installation from to EL 4.4.1, the media metadata table should be checked for the number of
rows present. If the count is greater than fifty million the following fragment must be run from within SQL Server Management
Studio to prevent the installer from timing out:
IF NOT EXISTS(SELECT CONSTRAINT_NAME FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLE_CONSTRAINTS WHERE CONSTRAINT_TYPE = 'PRIMARY KEY' AND TABLE_NAME = 'MediaMetaData' AND TABLE_SCHEMA ='dbo')
ALTER TABLE dbo.MediaMetaData ADD PRIMARY KEY (ID);
IMPORT / TRANSCODE
- From ELWEB-9136, the processing of a video will now be done on a copy of the online storage folder to safeguard evidence.
The original copy will not be removed until the new copy is verified to be complete and correct.
Each installation of JobQueue will need a Video Processing storage location setup for it.
This is where concatenation and transcode of new events will happen.
It will also be where exports that need transcoding to another format will be performed.
- From ELWEB-9474, If BITS/HTTP is set up as ON, and the config is modified
to Force BITS OFF, this used to cause problems in the field. A fix
in 4.3 was implemented to protect the installation if this occurs.
Specific Scenarios are:
If ForceBitsOff = false and BitsHttpEnabled = true, we will use BITS HTTP.
If ForceBitsOff = false and BitsHttpEnabled = false, we will use BITS SMB.
If ForceBitsOff = true and BitsHttpEnabled = true, we will use local file copy.
If ForceBitsOff = true and BitsHttpEnabled = false, we will use local file copy.
i.e., shouldIUseBitsHttp = !ForceBitsOff && BitsHttpEnabled.
- BITS/HTTP has been added as an option for Import, replacing BITS/SMB.
BITS/HTTP requires Security Credentials to be used for the Import
- Using SQL Server in lieu of SQL CE Import.sdf for Import is now an
option. For large deployments where SQL CE may not be able to keep
up with the load, SQL Server should be used for Import.
- Do not change from a SQL CE deployment to a SQL Server setup during
an upgrade. There is no migration from the import.sdf database to
the new SQL Server WGImport database.
- Multiple Import Service instances must not share the same database
instance on a SQL Server.
- If multiple import services are deployed, each must have their own
separate import.sdf, or, if SQL Server is used, each must have its
own database instance. Multiple Import services cannot share the same
import.sdf. Multiple Import services cannot share the same WGImport
database on the same SQL Server instance.
- Please note that this will be the result of running the Import Service
Installer on 2 different machines if you select "SQL Server Database"
under "Database Type for Import Service" on both machines. If you do
this, you must then follow the detailed instructions to manually create
a 2nd database instance and edit the Services.Host.Import.exe.config to
point it at that database.
- Testing where access to import storage location was removed and
restored intermittently resulted in many stuck events.
- Pre-EL 4.x events must be transcoded before they can be played
back in EL 4. They can be transcoded individually, or scheduled
to be transcoded based on categorization and age.
- Single TS files that do not have an I frame cannot be transcoded
(may happen if TS file contains less than 1 second of video).
These videos are not playable in any media player, such as VLC.
- Events can get into a "faulted" state if transcode fails all
retry attempts. This state is visible on the Table View.
Can be caused by lack of sufficient storage space to complete
- Events in "Importing" status cannot be exported or on-demand transcoded.
Events must be either fully imported or in Partial state to perform an export or an on-demand transcode.
-- When exporting a Partial event with transcode, only a single .TS file is transcoded
when all .TS files are present for that stream (ELWEB-10219).
- On Demand transcode option is disabled for events that are actively importing.
- Events that are in Importing Idle state (not visible in the UI), can be on demand transcoded.
-- There is a known issue when doing so where the transcode errors and produces no MP4 files
if one of the streams has no TS files at the time of the on demand transcode (ELWEB-10169).
- In EL 4.1.X, for LDS Workgroup installs, for the Transfer service
to work remotely from the Host install:
- Transport type must be set to "LocalFileTransport"
- The same user must be created on both the remote server
and the EL host server
- Transfer Service must be run under that user account.
--Users should contact WatchGuard Customer Support for help
with this configuration.
- In EL 4.2, for LDS Workgroup installs, for the Transfer service
to work remotely from the Host install using BITS/HTTP:
- Transport type must be set to "BITS/HTTP"
- The Transfer Service must be running as "Local System"
- EL 4.1 uses HTTP for file upload from 4RE DVRs running 4.x
firmware (or higher) and from VISTA cameras in Transfer Station
or Wi-Fi Base running 2.x firmware (or higher).
- Devices running older firmware will still upload via FTP
- To force FTP upload:
-- Add hidden appsetting <add key="ProtocolVersionOverride"
value="2.2" /> to the Services.Host.Wireless.exe.config
-- Wireless Import Service and all devices must be restarted
to pick up the change
- In order to force the transfer from BITS to File Copy:
(The following steps will have no effect if the system was
configured for BITS/HTTP during Install or Upgrade.)
- Open the configuration file for the service that needs to
-- In the <appSettings> of the file, add
<add key="ForceBitsOff" value="True"/>
-- Most of the config files have this key string in the
appSettings comments section defaulted to "False"
-- Key can be added to:
-- Restart the service(s) after saving the change
- Restarting DVRComm Service causes the ‘LastActivity’ time to
be reset for events. Events expected to clean up will now
wait 24 hours before being removed.
- A workgroup (LDS) installation requires special manual setup
when adding a network storage location. The following is needed
for this to work:
- In IIS, modify the Application Pool for Evidence Library
Web - Identity = "Local System" to "<workgroup>\<username>".
This username should be the name of the user who installed
EL in the workgroup environment. "Local System" will still
work if there is no Network Attached Storage.
-- The Network Attached Storage server should be in the
workgroup, and permissions should be set up to allow
read/write access for the <workgroup>\<username> added
in IIS above.
-- Open Services.msc and stop the JobQueueWorker Service.
Edit the JQWS to run as the same user (<workgroup>\<username>)
as noted above. Start JQWS.
-- Confirm Import credentials are added for the <workgroup>\
- If a file is not available when asked for by Import Service,
DVR Comm will reschedule the entire event until later, so the files will be available;
this can delay even a small, multi-file, event by 15-30 min (ELWEB-10263).
- If DVR Comm sends a FILE_COMPLETE for a file that has completely transferred,
Import Service will resend GET_FILE for that file if it did not receive the FILE_COMPLETE;
the XferToDest status for that file will have to be reset in the DVR Comm import database (ELWEB-10261).
- VISTA Wi-Fi cameras that are connected to an SPS switch in a vehicle
will show up on the VISTA Dashboard, but cannot be checked out.
- The Archive Audit incorrectly displays the destination location with
the source location.
- Storage location credentials for archive are not supported for an external drive that
is shared using Samba.
- Some confusion occurs when customers export multiple linked events.
If you include the linked events, duplicate copies will be created of
the same event. To remedy, manually uncheck the linked events during
- Zip file exported with specialized zip software, then attached as part
of a case won't unzip using the standard Microsoft unzip software
7-zip is an alternative that will work.
- When an export/download is performed on the server (Local Scenario)
the destination fields in the Downloaded audit are showing loopback
IP addresses which might confuse end users. Customers are discouraged
from installing Transfer Agent on the All-In-One machine, but if they
do, for the Audit records described above, the loopback address (::1),
will be displayed in the Destination and Destination IP fields.
- The Robot Configuration tool used for setting up the Rimage robot will
fail when using the following special characters for the Export Device
Name: * | : " < > ?
- EL Export support for the Rimage DVD burner is limited to using the
color ribbons for printing labels only. Grey Scale support
- Export to the Rimage DVD burner is defaulted to use DVD-R media.
Directions for changing the media type that is being used by the
Rimage burner can be found in ELWEB-8545. This requires a SQL
script update to modify the ‘publishingMediaFormat’.
- A multi-disc export using a Transfer Agent to burn to DVD will fail
if left for long periods of time waiting on secondary discs to be
inserted. In testing the Transfer Agent crashed after 2.5 hours of
waiting on the next disc.
- Spanning multiple disks is only supported for MP4 (native) and
DVD-Video format events. With the export fixes to the .iso sizes
other formats should work now too, although extensive testing
for the other formats was not completed. Minimal spanning tests
were completed using AVI, WMV, and MP2 formats in 4.2.
- With multiple concurrent Share exports (5+), one of the exports may
get stuck in "Waiting". Have to resubmit from the My Exports page.
- Robot exports - number of copies sticks until user logs out and back
in (if changed from default)
- VISTA events only: Events can be trimmed by "Duration" only
- Multiple case exports are not supported in 4.2.
- Running the new export player from the exported disc (DVD-R or Blu-Ray)
will possibly result in delayed response and unplayable video. To
remedy this, copy the contents of the disc to the PC and launch the
WatchGuard Video Player from there.
- Storage location credentials continue to remain unsupported for exports.
- From ELWEB-10026, corrections to the Retention Policy page to correctly display retention status of all categories,
to save all updates made on the page,
and to always show the default Archive retention rule which can affect other calculations displayed on the page.
- Agencies using IE11 with >1500 officers in the Kiosk dropdown will have
a poor experience clicking the "V" down arrow on the dropdown list control.
For better performance, typing in the text box is the recommended technique
for large agencies using Kiosk.
- Duplicate rows in the User Preferences table will cause the
ELWEB client to show as a black screen. To resolve (KB-01525-C6F2),
remove the duplicate row in the ‘Preferences.UserPreferences’ table.
This will look like the Chrome 58+ SSL certificate issue
(KB-01735-V5D2), but the cert is not the problem.
- ELWEB running in IE10 doesn't display ‘Case’ tab, ‘MyExports’ tab,
‘Manage’ tab, ‘Login’, or Power button. IE10 has been removed
as a supported browser.
EVENTS / CASE / PLAYBACK
- VISTAs that have been rejoined to the group recording are not
automatically linked to the other recordings in the group.
- In the 3.X version of Evidence Library, the metadata could be
viewed in tabular format. This feature is no longer available
in Evidence Library 4.X.
- Metadata graph not available for VISTA events in Playback
- Metadata graph can occasionally show minor inconsistencies
- Transfer Agent is required to adjust left/right audio balance
during playback and for selecting different audio sources
during sync playback on the PC.
- When uploading a large Case attachment, the browser tab
is locked until the upload completes. Users can open a
new browser tab and continue working.
- Events created on 4RE firmware <= 3.6 and VISTA firmware
<= 1.1 are not available for synchronized playback.
- Legacy events with no event category (null, not "Unknown")
can be purged manually in EL Web, but in order to be processed
by automatic data cleanup (Archive/Purge) they must be updated
to have a category. Furthermore, the event category "Unknown"
must be explicitly included in the retention policy
configuration. "Legacy events" are those which were imported
to an EL3.1.X system prior to upgrading to EL 4.X.
- Synchronized video playback is dependent on quality of the
time source on the devices. Units without GPS lock (4RE
and VISTA) and connection to Wi-Fi Base (VISTA) may show
- Synchronization of videos recorded at different frame rates
is not as tight as those recorded with the same FPS setting.
- Case attachments to an external drive shared using Samba is not supported.
- ELWEB-10299 Case exports no longer require an event to be attached or
an '.mp4' file to be present in the Attachments folder.
ADMINISTRATION CLIENT / SECURITY
- EL 4.3 enables the VISTA USB Filter Driver feature so VISTA
cameras cannot be accessed via File Explorer when docked to
your PC. When Virtual Machines are used, retargeting of the
VISTA device by the PC bypasses this driver. Do not run the
EL 4.3 Transfer Agent for USB access to VISTAs on a PC with
- After upgrade from EL 3.x, VISTA event category display
names (for VISTA LCD) must be manually entered via the EL
Administrator Tool. They are blank by default.
- 4RE Firmware updates are initially staged in
\WatchGuardVideo\Upload, and then copied to
- After upgrade from EL 3.x, some 4RE Device Management
recording properties are blank (Panoramic camera) in the
configuration. These values must be populated before any
changes can be saved to that configuration.
- In Device Management -> 4RE -> Recording Properties, the
Group Member Stop checkbox setting is not used by the 4RE.
- This means that 4RE will not stop recording when another
member of its group (VISTA) stops its recording.
- ELWEB-8054: To change the locale settings in the EL database
SubstationConfiguration table, use the SQL below to change
CurrentCulture to “en-GB”:
SET ConfigValue = 'en-GB' --or en-US
IN (SELECT scre.ID FROM SubstationConfigRefEnum scre
WHERE scre.KeyName = 'CurrentCulture')
- When unsupported special characters \, ¡, ?, ¿, ", / , : are used for
naming storage locations in ELWEB, the UI Name field shows red but no
error is displayed explaining to the user why the name is invalid.
Please rename the storage location using non-special characters.
- Tier 1 storage must be local. All processing (concatenation and transcoding) happens on Tier 1.
-- To move events off of Tier 1 storage immediately after transcoding, select "0" days for Tier 1 in Evidence Management.
- Export and Import storage locations cannot be in the cloud
- Storage location alerts are now written to the Event Log.
-- Email notification feature has been removed.
- Storage location warnings are sent to the Event Log
of the EL Web server.
-- EXCEPTION: wireless staging storage warnings are
written to the Event Log of the Wireless Import
Service server (if the Wireless Import Service is
on a remote workstation/server).
- Archived events are now zipped and moved to the Archive
Storage location. Metadata is not deleted
- Restore brings event back and unzips to last available
- No longer necessary to set up a Restore storage location
- Restore uses the same storage credentials as Archive when restoring an event.
- Export storage location is used as the temporary staging
location for large case attachments
- Up to four video storage Tiers are supported.
- Creation of all storage locations requires UNC path.
All storage locations and proper share permissions must
be setup outside of the Evidence Library Evidence Management.
-- Option to browse to a mapped drive has been removed.
- Storage locations now have names on the UI.
--For customers upgrading from a previous version,
the default name will be the database GUID.
- Cloud storage supports Microsoft Azure only
- Video Storage location Max Space setting should allow
enough room for transcoding. Video storage location
selection is done during import based on the event size,
and the transcode process can cause the space used to go
past the set max by a few percentage points.
Recommendation is to allow a minimum of 50GB free space.
- When a storage location is disabled, events in that location can be searched, played, and exported,
but they cannot be purged or archived.
-- When a storage tier is disabled, move rules targeting that tier as a destination
will fail during the move worker job until re-enabled (ELWEB-10225).
- Event transcoding only occurs on local storage. Pre-EL
4.0 events that are moved to cloud storage before being
transcoded cannot be viewed or exported.
-- Events should be transcoded via Bulk Transcode tool
before being moved.
-- Any event that is moved to the cloud that needs to
be played back can be archived, restored, and on-demand
transcoded. Restore brings the event back to local
- Partial events will remain in the initial video storage location until the
remainder of the event is imported, completes concatenation, and is
transcoded. The event will not be moved to another tier regardless of
whether storage locations are on-premise or cloud storage.
- Changes to the speed units (MPH or KPH) requires JobQueueWorker
service to be restarted to pick up those changes. Otherwise
subtitle values for the speed will be incorrect as the
conversion from knots to MPH or KPH is handled during import
by the JQWS.
- If moving events to a cloud storage location,
"TaskScheduler.UnobservedTaskException" messages may be
seen in the log. This is due to a bug in Microsoft's
data movement library.
4: Supported Platforms
- IE 11
- Google Chrome (v45 and higher)
- Admin Client/Transfer Service/Transfer Agent/Publishing Service
- Windows 7 (x86 and x64) (NOTE: Microsoft ends support for Windows 7 2020-JAN-14)
- Windows 8.1 (x86 and x64)
- Windows 10 (x86 and x64)
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2016
- Database/Host/Web/Import/JQWS/STS/Wireless Import
- Windows 10 (x64)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 (NOTE: Microsoft ends support for Windows Server 2008 2020-JAN-14)
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2016
- SQL Server
- 2008 R2 (10.50.1600.1 tested) (NOTE: Microsoft ends support for SQL Server 2008 2019-JUL-09)
- 2012 (SP1 11.0.3128.0 tested)
- 2014 (SP2 version 12.0.5203.0 tested)
* SQL versions not supported by Microsoft are not supported
- DVD Robot
- Same as JQWS
- Does not support working with 32-bit OS
- Windows XP is not supported
- IE 9 is not supported
- IE 10 is not supported
- Firefox is not supported
5: Supported Direct Upgrade Paths
6: WG Software Compatibility
- .NET Version
- Requires .NET 4.7.1 or higher
- Transfer Agent is NOT compatible with:
- EL 3.x / USB Scanner
- EL 4.0/4.1/4.1.1/4.1.2/4.2.1/4.3 Transfer agent
- EL Transfer Agent is NOT compatible with ELX
- ELX Viewer
- EL USB devices are compatible with ELX 3.6 Viewer (if configured)
-Will not work if USB encryption is enabled
- Watch Commander
- Requires Watch Commander 1.3 or higher
- Requires Cloud-SHARE 22.214.171.124 and higher
- 4RE Firmware
- Requires 4RE Firmware 3.2 and higher
- VISTA Firmware
- **VISTA firmware 3.0.2 or higher is required to make use of all related EL features
- Requires VISTA Firmware 3.0.2 and higher for VISTA USB base
- Transfer Station Firmware
- Requires 4RE Firmware 1.1.64 and higher
- Rimage DVD Robot
- Requires Version 7.1 and higher
7: Minimum Hardware Requirements
**NOTE: Hardware requirements vary based on number of devices, amount of video imported per shift,
number of concurrent web users, export load, retention policies, etc.
- 8 GB RAM
- 4 core / 8 thread
- Hard Drives
- Tier 0: 3 SSD drives in RAID 5 array
- Tier 1: HDD drives in RAID 6 array
- Video Storage: 7,200 RPM HDDs in RAID 6 array
- Import Network
- 1 GB network from any Wireless Import Services or Transfer Agent PC (USB upload / local export package download)
- Above system can import 15 GB of video / hour
- Does not include user playback or export load
- EL 4.x has a 3x increase in IOPS from EL 3.x
- 5 Mbps network throughput required for event playback
- 10 Mbps is recommended for best results
- Export to CLOUD-SHARE requires a minimum of 10Mbps free bandwidth
- WatchGuard does not guarantee time to upload caused by factors outside of our control
- Large number of concurrent CLOUD-SHARE uploads could require greater bandwidth